- Buhari would rather lose than rig 2019 elections - Femi Adesina
- Diddy's twins spotted out for the first time since the death of their mother
- Photo of LASU graduate’s original certificate found at a suya spot
- You are a true democrat, you will rise again - Buhari tells Jonathan
- Goodluck Jonathan reveals those behind his defeat In 2015
The Independent Electoral Commission has suspended the bye-election for the Port Harcourt Constituency lll State Assembly seat held Aug. 18 in the State.
Mr Obo Effanga, the Resident Electoral Commissioner in Rivers State, who announced the suspension in a statement on Saturday night, cited widespread violence as reasons for the suspension.
The bye-election was conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission to fill the vacancy left by former state Assemblyman, Mr Victor Ihunwo, now Chairman, Port Harcourt City Local Government Area.
Effanga stated that because the exercise was marred by widespread violence, it was suspended in accordance with Section 26 of the Electoral Act 2010. “INEC has decided to suspend the election forthwith,’’ he said but did not give a new date for the bye-election.
According to reports, suspected hoodlums accused of working for one of the major political parties attacked election officials in an attempt to hijack election materials. Gbekwele Chidi, a voter, and witness, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria on Saturday.
The attack is said to have taken place at Nkpolu-Oroworokwu community.