- PDP reveals why leaders of Osun APC disliked late Adeleke
- Waste collectors arrest Police officer, 40 other Osun residents for indiscriminate dumping of refuse
- Osun governor approves composition of customary courts
- Osun says 769 of its workforce forged certificates to secure job
- Osun monarchs hail Nigerian Army for approving construction of age-long Kuta-Ede bridge
The Independent Electoral Commission has suspended the bye-election for the Port Harcourt Constituency lll State Assembly seat held Aug. 18 in the State.
Mr Obo Effanga, the Resident Electoral Commissioner in Rivers State, who announced the suspension in a statement on Saturday night, cited widespread violence as reasons for the suspension.
The bye-election was conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission to fill the vacancy left by former state Assemblyman, Mr Victor Ihunwo, now Chairman, Port Harcourt City Local Government Area.
Effanga stated that because the exercise was marred by widespread violence, it was suspended in accordance with Section 26 of the Electoral Act 2010. “INEC has decided to suspend the election forthwith,’’ he said but did not give a new date for the bye-election.
According to reports, suspected hoodlums accused of working for one of the major political parties attacked election officials in an attempt to hijack election materials. Gbekwele Chidi, a voter, and witness, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria on Saturday.
The attack is said to have taken place at Nkpolu-Oroworokwu community.