- Osun LG chair appears before Assembly's committee over alleged misappropriation of N270m allocation
- nsecurity: Fani-Kayode blasts FG for asking Obasanjo to withdraw comments on ‘Islamization, Fulanization of Nigeria’
- EPL: Chelsea ordered to pay Conte £9million
- Solskjaer 'offers Paul Pogba captaincy at Manchester United' in bid to convince him to stay and shun Real Madrid move
- 2019 Copa America: Argentina releases 23-man squad, drops Icardi [Full list]
Mauro Icardi has been stripped of the Inter Milan captaincy and replaced with goalkeeper Samir Handanovic amid speculation the Argentina forward is set to leave the club.
The Italian club announced on Wednesday that, “the club can confirm that Samir Handanovic is the new captain of the team”.
The switch comes as Icardi, 25, has yet to sign a new contract amid protracted negotiations between the club and his wife Wanda Nara, who also acts as his agent. The Argentine has been left out of the team’s Europa League round of 32, first-leg game at Rapid Vienna on Thursday.
Icardi, valued at 100 million euros ($113 million), has been linked with a move away from Italy to Spanish giants Real Madrid or Chelsea in England. The forward joint top scorer in Serie A last season with 29 goals has scored 15 this season in all competitions but has gone seven Serie A games without a goal.